Functional Adult Literacy was designed to empower illiterate adults to participate effectively in public as well as community initiatives. To enhance community mobilisation and empowerment, Government revitalized the community development function in the Local Governments.
Functional adult literacy programme is being carried out by the Department of Community Development. At present the programme is being run in 9 sub-counties in the district, including the four division in the Municipality namely; Amach, Barr, Adekokwok, Ogur, Lira, Adyel, Ojwina, , Aromo, Ngetta, Agweng ,Agali , Railways and central divisions.
Challenges being faced by the programme:
– Inadequate incentives to support instructors who are the major pivot around which adult learning revolves. How are we going to sustain them in the FAL classes?
– Inadequate literacy materials for all levels including demand for English and Kishwahili materials
– Over whelming demand for FAL programme in all sub counties and villages.
– The community do lack skills which is sustainable as a result thee is no gainful self employment.
– Inadequate logistic support